Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Music


I've had the radio on the Christmas station for the last week. I have loved it and so has the family. Rock it Delilah! ...even if there are hundreds of songs to choose from and somehow Josh Groban gets tossed in every hour.
My mom and I were talking recently about how there are some Christmas songs that we connect to and love, and some that we feel the opposite about.
I thought about how much I don't like the song "Mary Did You Know?" at the same time my mom expressed how that is one of the songs she loves. Too funny. I am not a fan of the Drummer Boy song, "Do You Hear What I Hear?", and any of the pop Christmas songs by 90's boy bands. Gag.
However --There is a lot of beautiful and fun music out there. I have loved hearing Tessa sing "Jingle Bells", "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" and "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer", dancing to "Jingle Bell Rock" with Cole, and listening to the crooner style classics. But my favorites that I connect to? "Baby It's Cold Outside" when Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong sing it makes me smile every time. There's something about Elvis' "Blue Christmas." And then, not so commercial, I love "Still, Still, Still", certain versions of "Oh, Holy Night", and what I've posted above --"Infant Holy, Infant Lowly" sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. This last song makes my heart swell with gratitude and my eyes well up just about every time I hear it.
I'm so grateful for this time of year when the whole Christian world pauses to celebrate the birth, life, and mission of our Savior Jesus Christ. May we all spend the day tomorrow basking in the beauty of it.
Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Merry Christmas to you my friend!

Jen said...

loved your christmas card this year - made me laugh
love this song ~
can't wait to see you!