Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lake Ray Roberts

We went camping in October.
Since we've lived in Texas, we had only previously camped as a family one time....... at the KOA in the industrial part of San Antonio. It was high time we got outdoors and enjoyed our camping equipment together again.
We went to Lake Ray Roberts in Isle DuBois State Park. At the suggestion of a friend, we got an equestrian camp site. Yes, we were the only ones without horses in that area. The kids loved seeing them.
We were ready to take off on a Friday evening as soon as Jake got home from work. (The weekend before and the weekend after he went camping with the Scouts. So I'm glad he was willing to sleep on the ground for three weekends in a row.)
It was getting dark as we got there and set up the tent. We had a campfire and did what Tessa had been wanting to do for ages --had s'mores. We had Nutella s'mores, though. It's as delicious and messy as it sounds. Sadly, I'm drooling just thinking about them.
The wind kicked up. I couldn't tell if I was hot or cold in that tent. I don't know if I ever really slept that night. Cole woke up early and was a upset by his strange surroundings. I grabbed him to sleep by me so we wouldn't wake up the other campers and the horses.
Apparently when Jake got up later, he documented Cole's first time camping. And my Halloween pillow.
While Daddy-o made breakfast, these two claimed the camping chairs.
Rain was on its way, and we had to get home; however, we took some time to explore and go down by the lake. What a beautiful lake! We will definitely be going back.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

looks like a fun camping trip!

PixieGirl said...

The picture of you and Cole is so precious!