Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Great Grandparents

I still have all of my grandparents around. I'm pretty lucky that way. Jake still has one grandpa living. Because it's life, they all won't be around forever. Jake and I decided that it's a priority every time we visit Utah/Idaho to go and see our grandparents. We want our children to have memories of these wonderful people they come from.
We went to see my paternal grandparents one morning while staying at my dad and Sandy's. Grandma isn't big on getting her picture taken, but to be fair, she probably didn't know that's something we'd want to do and hadn't gotten "ready" for it. So, sorry, Grandma, but we were sneaking them in anyway. Grandma's hair has grown in really well after her cancer treatments made it fall out. She has trouble with short term memory, but she still knows me and she loves me. I was not close to my paternal grandparents growing up, but I've gained a greater appreciation for them now that I'm older and am grateful for the good people they are. 
Paige, meet Great Grandma Rich:
 My dad definitely looks like his dad. And my brother's genes are solidly Rich. The male cousins on this side of the family --I'm telling you that you could put them all in a room with a thousand other people and a random stranger could pick them all out as being related to each other.

Grandma joined in after some gentle coercion: 



 Then, while staying with my mom, we took a day trip to Lava Hot Springs where my Grandpa Jack was waiting for us! How fun to see my Grandpa Jack. I probably see him every four years or so. And I think he may finally show signs of starting to slow down. No one can ever accuse my Grandpa Jack of not living life to the fullest. He lives in California but made sure to stick around after some kind of get together he had in Idaho so he could spend time us (Mom, my family, Mandy's family, and Jon's family).
Paige, meet Great Grandpa Jack:
 After tubing in the river:
 Grandma and Grandpa D. in Preston:
 We had come the night before to visit and hang out as well, so Grams got a couple of chances to snuggle with the baby. We only had a short time to chat since it was getting late and we'd had our long day in Lava, but it was so nice to hang out in Grandma's beautiful backyard and enjoy the cooler air.
 Here are the kids with their prizes they picked out at a Lava Hot Springs gift shop from Grandma Lori:
 On our way back to Vegas all day Saturday, we stopped at Grandpa McCune's house. Bev has Paige int he back while we talked with Grandpa ...and Cole panicked about the dog.
 Grandpa McCune is Jake's maternal grandfather and is one amazing 93 year old man. Always learning.


No comments: