Thursday, May 3, 2012

Nauvoo Rendevous part deux: Easter

 First off, I have to say that as I'm going through the pictures of this Nauvoo trip, I find myself wanting to leave basic explanations as to the significance and history of what we saw for those friends of mine who are not members of my faith. However, when I start to do that, I can't keep it basic. There is just SO much to explain. What I can easily and briefly say, though, is that Nauvoo has a place in the hearts of the LDS people. These saints built this beautiful city from the ground up -- to a point where it rivaled the population of Chicago at the time. They were unjustly persecuted and shoved out of there like they had been from their homes before; but they also witnessed countless miracles. They sacrificed so much to see the building of the temple completed, only to pack up what they could and head into the unknown. I have relatives who lived in Nauvoo and headed west in that great and dangerous migration. I'm so thankful for their example of strength, faith, and fortitude. If I could only have a shred of the guts they had to have, I'd count myself a courageous woman.
If you have any questions about the history or significance of anything that I post, please shoot me a comment or email, and I would love to answer them.
Back to the trip:
We were able to stay in an old blue house right near the Nauvoo temple. It was a lovely old house, but, wow, those stairs were creaky.
On Easter morning Matt and Mary's family and our family met up with Gma and Gpa M at church. It was a lovely meeting, I think. Honestly, I only remember trying to keep Cole quiet. Afterwards, though, I saw another missionary couple I recognized! The Daybells from my ward in Utah when I was little. It's funny when you haven't seen a face for more than a couple of decades but then recognize and have it register in a totally different setting.
On our way back from church we drove by the temple, which Cole called a castle. He looked over and said, "There's a trophy on it." I had a good laugh. A golden angel Moroni tops all of our temples, and to hear him referred to as a trophy was amusing.... but pretty astute for a two year old.
At the house, Mary pulled out the pioneer bonnets she'd made for all of the girls. The talent, I tell you! They were really cute. I especially loved Paige's baby bonnet.
 Matt and Hannah.
 Tessa and Simone.



Jake's parents are currently serving and living in Carthage, so we headed to their home for Easter dinner and festivities. Nathan and Kelly's family and Jon arrived and joined us here, so we were all reunited! What a beautiful day. I did what I do whenever I encounter lovely grass such as this on a warm day --I flopped on the ground and soaked up the sun, unafraid of critters. (This does not happen in Texas.) I listened to all the cousins playing --what a happy sound.
Grandma M. made the boys all awesome pioneer caps, so you'll see Cole sporting his.



After dinner, Grandpa and Grandma hosted an Easter egg hunt. 
Cole couldn't quite las that long, though:

The three little girls (they are cute, aren't they?) showing off their spoils:


No comments: