Friday, June 3, 2011

Yum

For the last several months I've really gotten a kick out of trying new recipes. I have a pretty good system going with my family meals, with my two week menu planning, a big list of ideas to choose from, etc., but I was getting a little bored with the list. It's more fun to mix in a few different things than we're used to. The internet provides a gagillion recipes, BUT that doesn't mean they're all good! I have made my fair share of "Well, we'll never have this again" kind of recipes. I don't enjoy those. Choke-it-down food bums me out. However, the "that was a fun change" I enjoy, and the "Hooray! Let's add that to the family cookbook!"recipes make me really happy. I know it all depends on your taste buds, but I like to change it up at our house....with food WE like.
A friend in my ward keeps her weekly menus connected to her blog. She provides links. You can see where the meal is a repeat (meaning it was good). She is fabulous and a good cook. That means.....tried and true recipes......not just my hoping for the best with Martha's FOOD magazine or random online recipe sites. I tried a few of the recipes from my friend's menu blog and found that I was loving meals coming from the same couple of sites. New recipes to try from a credible source!
I must share some. So far, I haven't disliked any thing I've made from thesisterscafe.com.

The Sisters Cafe
Creamy Chicken Taquitos *
Honey Lime Enchiladas * Tessa loves these and calls them the crispy enchiladas. We like to use pork for this recipe.

Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Lemon Cream Pasta with Lemon Garlic Chicken too much lemon for our kids, but I loved it.

Our Best Bites -the taquitos recipe above actually originates from Our Best Bites. My mother in law just gave me their cookbook, and I'm ready to rumble with it.
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Vinaigrette -topped with grilled chicken, this is a great summer recipe.

Our Recipe Box's Completos -Chilean style hotdogs Oh my goodness, I never thought I'd like a hot dog so much. We saute the onions and tomatoes.

You're welcome.
Feel free to share any links of recipes that you love....especially summer recipes now that it's HOT outside.

4 comments:

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

We LOVE Our Best Bites! We just made these a few days ago (again) - no hot oven required.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/09/reeses-peanut-butter-bars-no-bake/

We can barely last long enough to let them set. I'd rather make dessert than dinner any day.

P.S Who has the blog??

Kerianne said...

Those are some of my favorite blogs too! http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/ That's another. The three of them are my go-to sites!

Jen said...

i pretty much freeze all fruit I can and throw it all in the blender with rice milk some spinach and a little plain yogurt -- delicious
we have a blog where we post our recipes -- it is recent so work in progress but there are website links up top www.healthy-tweeks.blogspot.com (link of my blog too)

The Probert Family said...

Thanks for the special mention. :)

I'm so glad you've found the links useful and I'm so happy you enjoyed the Completos. I've never tried sauteeing the tomatoes/onions but you've definitely piqued my interest!

You'll have to keep sharing any other recipes you try and like. There are a few of those I've never tried, so it's good to get your input.