Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Unloading the camera

I think he's got an applesauce with red velvet cupcake facial going on here. His teeth are so funny --he's got four teeth that keep taunting him. Will they come out or won't they, will they or won't they?
"Take a picture of me too!" Never to be outdone. Then she wanted to take pictures too, so here we have the following from her artistic standpoint:


Moving on to my need to have busy hands for a better listening ear during General Conference. General Conference provided a beautifully uplifting weekend. The following project is not beautiful, however. But, it gave me something to do. I bought a couple of patterns for Barbie doll clothes a while back because I was irritated with the Barbie clothes available to buy. Seriously, Barbie should not look ready to go clubbing if she's supposed to be a vet. I loved getting Barbie ready for different occasions as a kid, and I knew that Miss Tessa would get a kick out of new clothes for her princess dolls. I had a couple of pieces of clothing in my Goodwill box that I fished out and decided to repurpose instead of giving away. Did I follow one of the patterns I bought? Heavens no, I am the queen of trial and error. I just went for it.
And it took me forever. And it certainly isn't anything to brag about, but my daughter LOVED it. This bungled dress has been on all of the princesses in the Disney sorority house.
I turned Tessa's jeans into capris and used one of the leg bottoms to make a doll jean skirt. Then I actually did try one of the shirt patterns with material that was much too stretchy, so again, not even close to perfect. And again, the four year old didn't mind in the least.
Here she is posing.

This Christmas dress from Grandma lasted and fit for the perfect amount of time. So, onto the slicing and dicing .....and uneven stitching and picking apart and stitching again.
Princess Ariel was pleased. So was Tessa. Doll clothes aren't easy, but I had fun trying. I will be pulling out the actual patterns and material they call for one of these days...

4 comments:

Ranell and Brandon said...

Awesome job! They look awesome... I don't think you need a pattern!

djensen said...

Way better than anything I could have done! You are so creative!

adrienne said...

I've been sewing barbie clothes for Emily the last few weeks and it's kind of addictive. It's so fun to be able to make clothes so quickly.

The Egans said...

I am so so so impressed! Those are super awesome Maren! You never cease to amaze!