Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Superbowl 5K

Well, now, isn't that a flattering picture. Eesh.
Oh well, I'm proving I was there and that I finished.

It was cold. Oh my goodness. Cold. Cold. Cold. But it was still great. There were over a thousand people who ran this thing, and the positive energy is infectious.

Backing it up: I was doing pretty well after my award winning run. I started making a schedule for myself and was feeling good about it.

Then I got sick. For a few weeks. If I can't breathe, I don't exercise. And then after that I got spotty about running. It's been cold, I got sick again, excuse #4, excuse #18 and excuse #36.

Anyway, I signed up for the Superbowl 5k in Richardson and decided that even if I hadn't been running regularly that I would go and do it anyway. It was my fault for not being completely prepared. My goal was to beat my last 5k by at least a couple minutes --which would be a breeze for most people, but I don't care.

I beat it by 4 minutes! Hooray! I wanted to puke at the end. But then I got a free Snickers bar and Sun Chips! Plus, my family cheering for me was awesome.

I was really proud of myself. I had been getting down on myself for not being where I want to be in my goals and efforts, but I was reminded again to take it a day at a time and just keep trying. It's okay to keep starting over. As long as effort is taking place, I'm still moving forward.

I came in at 31:22, and my goal is to get to a 30 minute 5k run.

Again, pansy effort for some. But I don't care. Personal goal. Personal growth.

I can do it! One day at a time.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I am very impressed -- just one more reason why you are awesome ;)

Talbot Family said...

Post race pictures aren't supposed to be flattering :) But, I personally think you look great. Good job on accomplishing your goal, I am proud of you. Now shoot for the 10K. You can do it!

djensen said...

You are a stud-a 5K in 30 minutes would be a miracle for me! Great job!

Maranda said...

Saweeeeeeet! Nice job Maren! I also think you look great for just running a race!

The Egans said...

Not a pansy effort! NO way! Great job Maren! You are inspiring me. Maybe. ;)