Monday, October 18, 2010

Texas State Fair 2010

We had an awesome time at the fair this year. We did not have an awesome time parking, but once we got in, it was a blast. I didn't pull out the camera much at all, but I've posted plenty of fair pics in the last couple years. You've got the point by now. With only a few hours to play, we zipped through one of those crazy sales buildings and then hit the Texas specialty building. Borden was giving out free quesadilla samples, so I made my family wait in line with me to get some. I think the fair is one of the few places where I'm not too proud to wait in line for a free sample of food. The rarity of anything free at the fair deserves my five minute wait. We then let Tessa pet Bessie the Borden cow before we grabbed some chocolate milk to share. Mmmmm. Chocolate milk.
Upon leaving, we put the kids on one of the benches. I'm not going to pretend to understand Tessa's intensity when the camera comes out these days, so just go with it.

I love the petting zoo! They had a baby zebra, plenty of baby goats, itty bitty piglets, and some calves among the array of animals. I like the ostriches since it's the closest I am ever able to get to one, but they look like if you cross them, they'll waste no time in pecking your eye out. So, I respect the ostrich and only watch as others feed it.
We saw the giraffe, some llamas,.....and then came across these guys. I don't remember seeing the likes of this animal before. Four horns?!? That just doesn't seem fair. They were knocking into and getting caught on the fence and trough. I don't know if you can see how they come out the front and the sides of the sheep/ram. It's probably great for protection, but didn't look great for eating.....or social events.

Cole pulling faces for Dad?
and Cole pulling faces for Dad.
That's it. No more pictures.
But we did get to see a lot more. We went over and spent time in the domestic car show and drooled over the Chevy Traverse. We went to see the ribbon winners in the livestock section of the fair along with some of the horses for the rodeo.
Jake and I decided to go for it this year and each chose a fried food specialty to get and share. The fair only comes once a year, right? That's what I told myself again when I saw what you got for six bucks. Jake chose fried Frito pie, which smelled horrendous but tasted pretty good. Even the kids liked it. I got fried chocolate. We all agreed it was tasty. I think it would have tasted better not fried, but that's completely beside the point.
We then had just enough time to walk through the ribbon winner building (crafts, food, art, photos, shoe theme decorating contest). The butter sculpture was in this building. Football players made out of butter. I imagined myself smearing toast on one of the player's helmets and then munching it down. After quesadillas, chocolate milk, fried Frito pie and chocolate, why not?
On our way out, the night parade was just getting started. The kids got to marvel at the lit floats, and I got to marvel at some of the creepiness of the lit floats.
I love the fair.
Until next year, Big Tex.

3 comments:

PixieGirl said...

Ya gotta love those butter sculptures...H

Jen said...

fun! no one seems to do state fairs quite as big as texas -- this is the fair where they deep fry everything right?

Lori said...

Tessa's intensity cracks me up, she's a little actress. That Coley-o
just radiates sweetness, doesn't he? I just want to grab them both and kiss them. Fun time at the fair! The fried food, I have to admit makes me cringe. Why spoil perfectly good chocolate?